Sunday, April 3, 2011

The West Indian Heritage

A new exhibition opened at the National Museum in Copenhagen yesterday. An exhibition of the West Indian Heritage (more specifically about the former Danish West Indies), which brings the buildings into the picture of the structure of the colony and its function. On top of that it will draw parallels to the situation and the heritage from today. Danes still tend to call the Virgin Islands ‘the Danish West Indies’, which is wrong and I wish they would quit it. Neither the islands nor the people have been under Danish rule for almost a hundred years. If I use the term, it will be in reference to the period where V.I. was a Danish colony. No, Danish slavery was not better than other countries’ doings. I took some pictures of the opening I want to share. It is an important subject, and I sincerely hope Denmark will pay back what they owe the populace of the V.I. by 2017, when it will be a hundred years since Denmark sold V.I. to USA.


No comments:


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...